This page features pictures and brief descriptions of No. 3 Mine, the plant for which was located on the corner of Davidson Avenue and West Mines Road. No. 3 Mine was the last mine in operation on Bell Island when DOSCO ceased operations there on June 30, 1966. The only physical structure still standing on the site of No. 3 Mine Yard is the Hoist House.
No. 3 Mine
The map below shows the location of the plants for the four submarine mines, No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6. No. 3 Mine Yard is seen at points 1 & 9. Map by Harvey Weir.
The diagram below is of No. 3 Mine Yard, July 1954. Source: "Wabana, Nfld." in "Insurance Plans of Towns in Newfoundland," Canadian Underwriters' Association, Toronto, 1954-1969.
The photo below is of No. 3 Hoist House in 2005. It is the only remaining physical structure in No. 3 Yard. This is the SW side as seen from the Arena parking lot looking North. Photo by Gail Weir, 2005.
The photo below is of No. 3 Mine collar. No. 6 Mine deckhead can be seen directly north in the distance. Houses on The Green can been seen in the upper right side distance. The photo is titled "7 a.m. start of shift at No. 3 Mine." George Hunter photo, August 1949. Photo courtesy of Library & Archives Canada, photo #48380.
The photo below is similar to the one above with a better view of No. 6 Deckhead in the distance. The ore car at the collar is a 20-ton bottom-dump car. Photo courtesy of Ruth Archibald.
In the photo below, one group of miners is coming off the day shift while another prepares to board the man rake to begin their 2 and 1/4-mile journey down the Main Slope of No. 3 Mine, c.1954. Photo courtesy of The Rooms Provincial Archives.